Sunday, May 24, 2009

Shavuot

I feel as if I've been cooking non-stop since Pesach, much like the holiday cycle from Rosh Hashanah to Sukkot

But Shavuot seems different. It's the last holiday before the long, hot, holiday-free summer. And since we eat mainly vegetarian and dairy meals most of the year anyway, it's easy to come up with a menu.

The only issue is cheesecake.

Mention cheesecake and everyone has an opinion. Some like it rich and dense while others want it light and airy. Some insist on full-fat cream cheese, while others like ricotta, white cheese or yogurt. So many variations!

I do enjoy cheesecake, though I don't make it often. My preference is for a not-too-sweet lemony ricotta cake, with a slightly crunchy crust.

My after-Pesach refrigerator inventory included a number of un-eaten cheeses close to expiration date. A pre-Shavuot cheesecake experiment came to mind.  I don't usually experiment with baking, but I looked at a few recipes and gave it a try. My formula was 1 egg for each cup of soft white cheese. 

The crust is dependent on whatever cereal we have. Cheerios, puffed rice and bran flakes all work well. Throw a cup or so into the food processor bowl along with a handful of walnuts and a dash of cinnamon. Process into crumbs and add just enough canola oil to keep it together. Press it into an 8-inch (20 cm) spring form pan.

Rinse out the processor bowl and put in the cheese. I used:

1 container 5% cottage cheese

1 container 5% "Ski" cheese (soft white cheese)

½ small log of soft goat cheese

1 container 0% plain yogurt

Zest of one lemon

1 teaspoon vanilla

½ cup sugar

Process the mixture until smooth and taste it for sweetness and flavor. Then add:

3 eggs

Process again to blend everything together well.

Pour the cheese mixture into the crust and bake at 325 F (165 C) for about an hour, or until it's firm. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in for another half an hour. Remove it to a wire rack to cool completely and then refrigerate.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. How much is "one container" and "1/2 small log"? Are these the standard little containers I can get at Supersol or similar market? I've never seen goat cheese in a roll. Is "ski" like lebanah?

    I love lemon zest anything and I adore goat cheese, so I would definitely like to try this, if I can figure out all the measurements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might like nut-based crusts and raw cheesecakes (typically made from soaked cashews) too! And they are vegan/pareve! Chag sameach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies Alissa. I intended this to be more of a starting off point for your own version of cheesecake, rather than a set recipe.

    I used standard Israeli sized-containers: Cottage cheese and Ski (Made by Strauss Dairy - it's closer to cream cheese in consistency.)are 250 gm (9 oz)and yogurt is 150 gm (5 oz).

    Soft goat and sheep cheese is available in 180-200 gm (6.5-7 oz) logs in most dairy sections of the grocery store.

    I do hope this helps. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chana! I didn't get to try this for Shavuot, but I'm thinking of trying this instead of standard cake for an upcoming birthday :)

    ReplyDelete