Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lag B'Omer and Taxi Drivers

Two weeks ago we celebrated Israel's Independence Day. Barbeque is the traditional meal, and the smell of grilled meat permeates the air.

Today is Lag B'Omer – the yahrzeit of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai. The tradition is open-air bonfires, more grilling and fireworks. Last night, the air was so full of smoke that we had to close all of our windows. Even so, we heard fireworks late into the night.

The joys of living in Israel!

Taxi drivers are another (occasional) pleasure.  We have some very special drivers in Beer Sheva. Many will share a personal story with you. If you're lucky, you'll get a D'var Torah. 

This morning, my driver was an elderly gentleman who apologized profusely for not seeing me the first time I tried waving him down. Soon after we started talking, he asked me where I was from: "America?"  My heavy accent is pretty obvious.

"And you?" I asked.

"Bavel!" he answered "Home of Rav, Shmuel, The Ben Ish Chai, Rav Sa'adia Gaon, Rav Ashi, the Ravina and countless other Jewish sages." He was beaming with pride.

Only in Israel!

This afternoon I had a driver from our neighborhood that I recognized.

"You're an English teacher, right?" he asked.

In Beer Sheva, if you're a male English speaker, you're either a chemist or a professor. If you're a woman, you're an English teacher.

"I'm a dietitian", I replied.

He perked up. "What should I eat?" he asked. "I used to play soccer and eat like a bear, but now I sit all day long and I'm fat. I bet I shouldn't eat beef or bourekas. I drink a lot of cola. And what about pizza? My wife always orders with extra cheese."

I gave him the basics: Eat lots of vegetables and fruit; poultry and fish rather than beef; pizza with lots of vegetables and less cheese; whole grains. Stay away from fried foods. Stick with water. "If you stop drinking sugared soda all together," I suggested, I can almost guarantee that you'll lose weight."

As I left his cab, I mentioned jokingly that he was getting a pretty good deal. Cab fare PLUS free professional advice.

He laughed. Next time I see him I'll ask if he stopped drinking soda.

Lag B'Omer Sameach!

No comments:

Post a Comment