Thursday, March 19, 2009

Shopping for Pesach


The Pesach display just went up at our neighborhood grocery store. First to hit the shelves were coffee, gefilte fish, soup mix, snacks, candy and packaged cakes. To my surprise, there was a large display of dried fruits and nuts – kosher L’Pesach and on sale.

In the US, Pesach food often comes to market before Purim. And every year the choice gets bigger and bigger. Last year, over 21,000 Passover food items were available in the US.  More than 500 of them were brand new products.

It’s a growing market, with a growing price tag.

With this year’s economic downturn, many of us will be thinking twice before tossing Pesach items into our grocery cart.

There are other reasons to think twice. Many of the highly processed Passover “specialty foods” are high in fat, sugar and salt. They’re high in simple carbohydrates. And they’re loaded with empty calories.

Here are some ways to save money and eat healthier at the same time:

Start by writing a menu. Focus on fish, poultry and seasonal vegetables.

When it comes to packaged foods, stick to the basics: Matzah, matzah meal, nuts, dried fruit, olive oil, spices, coffee, tea, wine, tuna, tomato sauce, dairy products. I keep a list of the Pesach food I buy each year, and adjust it as needed for the following year.

Start shopping early for the basics so you won’t feel rushed or pressured when you get to the store.

Don’t be tempted by fancy packaging and advertising. If you’re not sure about a product, read the ingredient list and nutrition label. It’s always fun to try something new, but do your best to focus on “real” food and skip the junk.

Make a list! After you’ve decided on a menu, write down what you’ll need. Take your list with you to the store and stick to it.


Next on Pesach:  Have it All – Delicious, Healthy and Kosher L’Pesach!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chana - I've been following this advise for many years, and I find my shopping kept to a minimum. In addition to keeping a shopping list on the computer, I also keep my menus from year to year. So, for those of us not fortunate to be able to spend Pesach in Israel, we are facing two days of Yom Tov, followed by Shabbat. So, I looked up my menu from several years ago when this happened, made a few modifications, and it's all set. I also make notes after Pesach for the next Pesach as to what I might need then. For example, if I'll need more haggadot, I make a note to check out www.jewishsource.com. They frequently send out emails for specials on shipping, overstocks, etc. I look forward to your recipes, and maybe I'll make some modificatons! A Pesach sameach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your helpful ideas. I'm also big on saving menus. My Passover folder includes recipe clippings and menus - some from 20 years ago! Am I being just a little nostalgic?

    I remember those three-day holidays. Another reason to make aliyah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year the no kitniyot mayonaise was inedible. We don't need it, really, and I don't plan on buying it again. To save money I'll try to just buy the basics. It's only a week, Pesach, and when my kids were little there wasn't much to buy, and they survived. In a pinch, they would snack on plain yogurt with either jam, honey or bananas.

    ReplyDelete