Thursday, January 29, 2009

What Should I Eat? Prunes



Prunes

Years ago, full-page ads in a popular Jewish women’s magazine featured two products: bran cereal and prunes. That was a clear message to me – this publication was for ladies my grandma’s age who needed more fiber in their diets.

The ads have changed, along with the image of the magazine. And bran is now modern and fashionable.

But prunes (or dried plums, as they’re called now) were left behind.

I’m to blame as much as anyone. The box of prunes in my refrigerator hadn’t been touched since Pesach. I just noticed it and ate a few. Wow - what a great snack! They’re sweet, chewy, and satisfying. You can cook some up with dried apricots, a cinnamon stick and a little water (no sugar needed) for a quick easy dessert.

Prunes are high in potassium and anti-oxidants. And yes, they’re still a great source of fiber.

Now that some of us are grandmas, let’s leave that old image behind. It’s time to give prunes their respectful place next to dried cherries, peaches and blueberries.

1 comment:

  1. One of my "favs" is lekvar, or, as we called it in my home "puvedleh" (I assume that's Russian. My grandmother used to make it from prunes, my aunt from Itlaian plumes (only available for a short time in the Fall here in the Northeastern U.S.

    I just made some to use as a natural sweetener for my protein shakes, since the jarred stuff here is made with corn syruo (what isn't?) It's a little thick, and, next time, I'll add more water, or wait for the plums to come into season.

    (Thinking about you and your family, that you should be safe....)

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete