Thursday, March 4, 2010

How do you choose what foods to buy?

I wasn't surprised to find that most of my readers base their food purchases on healthfulness. But that's not true for a lot of others, especially Americans.

According to a 2009 Food and Health Survey, most Americans decide on food purchases based on taste. Price, healthfulness and convenience come afterwards.

The lesson for me is that nutrition education isn't enough. People need to learn how to shop with health and economy in mind. Then comes the art (and joy!) of learning to cook without spending all day in the kitchen.

If you're new to my blog, take a moment to browse through the recipes. Most are fairly easy and require a minimum of preparation time. You'll also notice that I don't use a lot of fancy ingredients. I'm a big fan of inexpensive proteins like beans and peas, and simplified meals like soup and muffins.

Share these recipes and ideas with your family and friends. They'll convince most people that food can have it all – taste, nutrition, economy and convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment