Thursday, March 18, 2010

Acupuncture Counters the Effects of Eating Too Much Matzah

This according to an email promotion I recently received.

I'm not against acupuncture. Our Tai Chi instructor is an accomplished practitioner of Chinese medicine and has had excellent results treating a variety of ailments with acupuncture. He's successfully stuck needles into me and my husband.

Would I ask him to help us deal with constipation and stomach discomfort brought on by eating too much matzah? Probably not. Because I'd try not to eat too much matzah in the first place.

Sure, there's the minimum requirement for the Seder. But that's just one night. (OK, two if you're not fortunate enough to live in Israel.) There's no mitzvah to eat matzah with every meal. Pesach meals don't all need to include matzah kugel, matzah brei, matzah pancakes, minas and matzah balls.

Just like I don't eat bread at every meal during the year, I don't eat matzah at every meal during Pesach. Who needs all those constipating carbohydrates?

My other strategy is to load up on high fiber vegetables and fruits Рvegetables in salads, sides and main courses. Vegetables added to kugels, pancakes, minas and matzah brei. (Try matzah brei with asparagus and saut̩ed onions for a special treat.)

Instead of cookies, cakes and even more (chocolate-covered) matzah, serve fruit. Fresh, cooked or dried, fruit is great for breakfast, dessert and snacking.

Are you eating matzah in the form of matzah-meal laden baked goods? Switch to macaroons and tortes made with eggs and nuts. Nothing's wrong with a little dark chocolate for dessert either.

For those of you who are comfortable with "non-traditional" medicine, acupuncture can work wonders. But I'd save the needles for now and stick with preventative nutrition during Pesach.

No comments:

Post a Comment