Thursday, July 23, 2009

Rx for Israeli Tofu

I'm not one to complain about what's lacking in Israel. I don't miss canned cranberry sauce or pumpkin. Graham crackers would be nice, but I can do without them.

It seems to me that we have the widest selection of deliciously fresh, healthy kosher foods than anywhere else in the world.

I just have one minor gripe – Israeli tofu.

Perhaps I was spoiled living in Portland, where we had a choice of several brands of kosher tofu. One Vancouver company produced an especially soft and delicate tofu that was wonderful in miso soup. It also worked beautifully for parve chocolate mousse.

If you've cooked with Israeli-made tofu you know what I mean when I say that it's as dense and hard-as-a-rock. And I've tried every brand. There's one labeled "Japanese Style". How exciting – soft tofu at last! But it's the same as the rest.

My friend Shimron (A talented chef who made aliyah from Portland) heard my complaint and came to the rescue.

Here's his Rx for Israeli tofu:

Rinse the whole piece of tofu and steam it over water for 5-10 minutes. (I use a small bamboo steamer basket, but a metal steamer works just as well.)

Remove it to a cutting board and cool slightly. Cut it into square or oblong shapes and marinate it * for several hours.

That's it. Now use it in your favorite tofu recipe.

* The marinade is your choice. Keep it simple with soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Add ginger and/or garlic. Or go with olive oil and herbs. It just depends on what you plan to do with the tofu.

1 comment:

  1. Being from Vancouver, and knowing the wonderful tofu of which you speak ;) I hear and feel your pain. We ate tons of tofu in all sorts of forms. I agree, it's one of the very few things that we truly miss.

    We eat the tofu here, despite the ridiculous cost, but not nearly as often, and usually just in one or two dishes. This hint may help!

    ReplyDelete