Thursday, July 16, 2009

Accidental Recipe

What would you do with a frozen watermelon?

Fortunately I gave it a second thought before just throwing it away.

Given the intense summer heat and pre-Shabbat quantity of food, it wasn't surprising that our refrigerator temperature was higher than normal. (I keep an eye on fluctuations with a special thermometer.) So I cranked it up to "max" to cool things off.

As the refrigerator temperature gradually dropped to normal, the lower shelves dropped way below normal. And that's where our bowling-ball sized watermelon was hidden. By the time I found it, it was frozen solid. My sharpest knife wouldn't even make a dent.

When it finally defrosted enough to cut it, I found a beautiful shade of translucent red – obviously frozen solid. But one taste was all I needed to get creative rather than throw it away.

I cut the whole melon into chunks and pureed them in the food processor.

That's the whole recipe. It's called Watermelon Soup. Icy cold, refreshing and delicious – perfect for a hot summer day. Everyone kept asking what it was. And I was almost too embarrassed to say.

Do you have a favorite "accidental recipe"? If so, please share it with us!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! It's so healthy. When I eat enough fruit I have no desire for sweets.

    ReplyDelete