Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Meeting Mr. President


I don’t usually get excited about politicians. Until now, the closest I’d come to seeing anyone famous was in 1970, when Moshe Dayan walked by in the Jerusalem shuk. All I remember was his height. He was as short as me.

Shimon Peres is taller. And very dignified. He doesn’t show his age or the wear and tear I would expect from years of Israeli political life.

He was making the rounds of the International Book Fair in Jerusalem, while I was there to promote my book. Unlike Moshe Dayan, he didn’t just walk by. He actually stopped to chat. I don’t remember what either of us said, but he graciously accepted one of my bookmarks.

Today President Peres starts meeting with party leaders in order to recommend a new prime minister. Tzipi (who happens to be a vegetarian) looks pretty fit. But Bibi, Barak and Lieberman all look like they could use some nutritional advice. Maybe our president will share my bookmark with one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment