Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Passover Banana Coffee Cake (Parve)

This recipe is healthier than the original in several ways: I reduced the amount of sugar and fat by cutting the amount of streusel topping in half. I added walnuts for fiber and heart-healthy fats. Instead of margarine or butter, I substituted liquid oil (mild olive oil, canola or walnut oil) Given the sweetness of bananas, I used less sugar in the cake itself.

Streusel Topping

¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup matzah meal
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons oil

Cake

6 large eggs, separated
½ cup white sugar, divided
4 large ripe bananas
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 2 packages vanilla sugar)
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup matzah meal
½ cup potato starch

13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan

Preheat the oven to 325 F (165 C). Oil the baking pan or line the bottom with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, stir together all of the topping ingredients.

Using a food processor, process the yolks with ¼ cup of sugar until they're thick and pale. Slice the bananas and add them to the yolk mixture along with the vanilla, salt, matzah meal and potato starch. Blend until smooth and transfer to a mixing bowl.

Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar, beating until the whites hold stiff peaks. Fold ¼ of the meringue into the banana mixture to lighten it. Gently fold the rest of the meringue into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top and sprinkle with the streusel.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a cake rack. 

Chag Sameach V'Kasher to Everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I hope I can give this a try. Since we did not get mail this past weekend, I hope that my package from home gets here soon so I have matzo and matzo meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chana,
    Looks like a great cake to try for Pesach.
    Chag Sameach.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been invited to a brunch during Pesach and this sounds perfect. I will substitute Splenda for the white sugar, since I know that at least one of the guests is diabetic.
    Todah v'chag sameach

    ReplyDelete