Thursday, October 22, 2009

Children and the "Clean Plate Club"

If your children are taught to clean their plates at home – to eat everything they're served, they're less likely to choose food wisely when they're away from home.

That's the finding of a study of preschoolers who were allowed to eat as much sweetened cereal as they wanted. Those from "clean-your-plate" homes ate 35% more than children who set their own food limits. Self-control starts at home, and it starts early.

As parents, it's our job to help children develop that self-control. That includes not just what they eat, but how much they eat. One way to do that is to gently encourage, but not force our children to make good choices.

Here's what I did when my sons were young:

I tried to make food fun and attractive – broccoli "trees", cottage cheese and fruit "people" and "ants on a log" (peanut butter and raisins in a celery stick), for example.

I encouraged them to taste a little bit of everything that I served. If they wanted more, they could have it. They were never forced to eat something they didn't like. As the boys got older (and fussier), they knew they could always make themselves a sandwich.

I used age-appropriate dishes and utensils. Small dishes are best for small, child-sized portions.

I never ate my children's leftovers. While we were careful not to waste food, I wanted to be clear that there was no harm (or guilt) in leaving food on their plate. They also learned that parents didn't always finish everything on their own plates.

Did it work? They're all fairly slim adults now. One son doesn't eat mushrooms. Another won't touch tofu. The third prefers grapefruit to chocolate. (Where did I go wrong there?)

They still tease me about having had to endure the "hardships" of growing up with a dietitian for a mom. But they have a good sense of what to eat. And none of them are members of the "clean plate club".

1 comment:

  1. I think your advice is exactly right. Re. our three children - we did the same, with similar results. Two of our children are quite slim; one is a bit overweight but there are other reasons for that. They all like real food, good food, and pay close attention to what they buy and what they cook. As teens, they were influenced by peers to go a bit overboard on junk food, but once on their own, they adopted better habits.

    --Joyce

    I love your columns! They are full of common sense. I have used some of your recipes, and they work well. Thank you for your efforts!

    ReplyDelete