Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Calcium and Dairy Alternatives

I haven't stopped eating dairy. I know I'm at risk for osteoporosis, and calcium is important for my bones (along with exercise and a diet high in vegetables and fruits).

Besides, I like it. I use soy, rice and almond milk in parve baking, but I can't get used to it in coffee. I like the flavor of low-fat ricotta cheese in cooking and baking. We also enjoy dairy puddings, a bit of feta cheese in summer salads and milk-based gelato.

My solution is to take lactase tablets (Lactaid) when I eat dairy. The pills fill in for the lactase that's missing in my system. I treat our milk with drops that remove most of the lactose. And to further minimize adverse effects, I try to eat dairy together with other, non-dairy foods. To get enough calcium, I eat a cup of yogurt a day and take a calcium supplement.

Here's the recommended amount of calcium you should try to get each day:

Age (years) Calcium (mg/day)

1-3 500

4-8 800

9-18 1300

19-50 1000

51+ 1200


If you don't eat dairy, try to get calcium from other sources. Some non-dairy beverages add it in. There's also calcium-fortified orange juice. Check the nutrition label to see just how much you're getting per serving.

Some non-dairy foods are naturally high in calcium, like canned sardines and salmon when eaten with the bones, tofu made with calcium, almonds, techinah, kale, broccoli and dried figs. (I know people who eat a lot of kale, but how many figs can you eat?)

Even if you eat dairy products, it's often hard to get enough calcium. When you're lactose intolerant and eating just a little, or no dairy at all, it's especially hard. So your physician or dietitian might recommend a calcium supplement to reach the minimum recommended amount for your age.

No comments:

Post a Comment