Thursday, June 18, 2009

Should You be Chewing Gum?

Chewing gum never appealed to me. I don't remember seeing it around our house when I was growing up. Was it something that Jewish girls just didn’t do?

Then, when I got older, my ears started bothering me when the weather changed. I felt like I was driving up a mountain or descending in an airplane. My ears wouldn't pop.

That's when I discovered gum. It helped ease the pressure in my ears. And it was a distraction from the discomfort.

Then I learned that chewing gum can help alleviate GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease) symptoms. It boosts the production of saliva, which neutralizes stomach acid. Try chewing gum before bedtime or when you need to walk or exercise soon after a meal.

Increased saliva also helps keep your mouth healthier. Sugar-free gum can help reduce plaque and cavities. It can help prevent tooth stains and re-mineralize enamel to strengthen teeth.

There's more.

Preliminary studies show that chewing gum can aid in appetite control. And it's a low-calorie substitute for higher calorie snacks. Chewing gum burns 11 calories per hour. Not a huge amount, but every bit helps!

Are you tense or having a hard time concentrating? Try chewing gum to relieve your symptoms. Gum may improve your alertness and help alleviate minor daily stress. It can also help release nervous energy and provide an outlet for small frustrations.

Should gum be allowed back in the classroom and in the office? Research shows that chewing gum seems to improve the ability to learn and retain information. It actually increases blood flow to the brain by 25%.

That's reason enough for me to keep a box in my purse and one in my desk drawer.

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried gum with xylitol? That's supposed to be especially good for your teeth/oral hygiene.

    Unfortunately, many gums are not gluten-free, and besides, my jaw seems to get sore from extended chewing (TMJ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. most sugar free gum contain sorbitol,isomaltitol and artificial colors and flavors.
    are these ingredients harmful for ones health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article makes me feel much better about plugging a sugar-free gum into my daughters' mouth when they ask for Bamba or Bisli in between meals. Thank you.
    Shoshana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I'm not suggesting that you chew gum all day long. I wouldn't want anyone to have sore jaws. Then you wouldn't feel like eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables!

    Although I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners and colors, I don't think there's enough of any of these in gum to be problematic. If chewing gum can help reduce GERD symptoms, reduce between-meal snacking or relieve stress, the pros outweigh the cons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gum tends to loosen/pull out my dental work.

    /Ira

    ReplyDelete