Thursday, April 30, 2009

What Should I Eat? Beets

More short tidbits about “normal” food that is good for you.


We spent a day in Tel Aviv during Chol Hamoed Pesach. Just for a change of scenery, a walk along the sea and a meal in a restaurant rather than at home.

I ordered fish and an unusual-sounding salad:  Beets, walnuts and goat cheese on a bed of baby mix, dressed with a simple vinaigrette.

Wow! Beets have never topped my list of favorite vegetables, but this was a winner. I added beets to my next shopping list.

My mom made one thing with beets - cold borscht. I remember it fondly as a kid, served with a dollop of sour cream and chopped cucumber. Very refreshing on a hot summer day.

Otherwise, beets never managed to inspire me. Until I tasted this salad.

When I do cook beets, I usually roast them to preserve their flavor. Wrap them whole (cleaned but not peeled) in heavy-duty foil, place on a baking sheet and cook them in the oven at about 400 degrees F (200 C). When they're done, cool and peel.

Steaming is an even quicker way to cook beets. Use a steamer basket on the stovetop or a baking dish with a few tablespoons of water in the microwave. First trim and peel the beets with a vegetable peeler. Cut them into wedges, cubes or slices, about 1/2 to 1 inch (1 1/4 to 2 1/2 cm) thick. Steam them for 10-15 minutes on the stovetop or 8-10 minutes in the microwave.

Half a cup of beets has 29 calories, 2 grams of fiber and nearly 20% of the daily value for the B-vitamin folate. Their gorgeous color comes from betanin, a phytochemical that may bolster the immune system.  They also contain heart-healthy antioxidants and the powerful cancer-fighting agent betacyanin.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment